The annual NPPWC is held on the first weekend of August and is sponsored by the community of Nimbin.
Thanks to all the volunteer support the event is growing in size and reputation each season. After the Saturday heats and Sunday semi-finals, 8 finalists perform at the Nimbin Town Hall for the Grand Final Prize on Sunday night.
The terms and conditions of performance are:
- Poets have 8 minutes to perform 1 or more poems.
- The competition is run over a weekend with heats and semi-finals held in Nimbin Cafe’s and the grand-final held on the Sunday evening in the Nimbin Town Hall.
- Poems must be the performers OWN work and must not have been previously performed at the NPPWC.Performer Poets will be marked on a number of ‘attributes’ including content, diction, presentation and timing.
- Good use of time will be marked by the judges and poets may be penalised for being over time, or running too short.
- There is a peoples choice award as well as the judges decision winners, runner up and encouragement awards.
- It is the responsibility of each performer to arrive at their venus on time.
- Poets may use an instrument for accompaniment (not a band).
- Poets may use props where appropriate.
Entries close Monday 29th July 2013.
All performers will be notified oftheir venue and heat time by Thursday 1st August 2013.
HEATS are held in the delightful surrounds of the Nimbin Town Hall from 11am on Saturday 3rd August 2013.
SEMI-FINALS are conducted on Sunday 4th August from Midday, at the Nimbin Town Hall.
GRAND FINAL and After Party held at the Nimbin School of Arts TOWN HALL Sunday 4th August 2013 at 7.30pm
Verandah Café open from 6.00pm
Each Performance Venue has an MC & helper plus two judges for the heats and semi-finals.
For the GRAND FINAL there are three NEW judges who select, from the eight finalists, ONE outright winner of the $2000 prize and the prestigious
Nimbin Performance Poetry World Cup.
7 Runners Up: $300 each.
Peoples Choice Award: $500.
Incentive Awards of $50 and $25 given by judges during the heats.
Semi-final judges at the Nimbin Oasis Cafe 2006